Back to Top
Top Nav content Site Footer
University Home

Archive Research Center

University Honors

Professor, Modern Language Department

Professor Emeritus

n.d.

Bio:

Professor Charest joined the University of Detroit faculty in 1946 as an Instructor in French, was promoted to Assistant Professor in 1953, and promoted to full professor in 1969.  He earned a bachelor’s degree in philosophy from John Carroll University Cleveland Ohio in 1940 and a master’s degree in French from Loyola of Chicago University in 1945.

Upon coming to the University he taught in the Modern Language Department, was Director of the Modern Language Laboratory, and was Head of the French Division of the Department.  He also taught the Foreign Language Methodology course for the university's  Education Department.

His specialty and interest was in foreign language teaching methodology.  As such, he authored articles or gaves talks as “Idealism and Realism in Language Teaching,” “The Language Laboratory and the Human Element in Language Teaching,” and “A Project for Better Articulation of Language Teaching in Catholic Schools.”

Professor Charest was named a knight of the order of “Les Palmes Academiques” by the French government in 1964.  The award was presented for services in spreading French culture.  

Hs was a member of the American Association of University Professors, the Modern Language Association, the Central States Language Teachers Association, the American Association of Teachers of French, and the Catholic Association of Foreign Language Teachers. 

He served as the chairman of the Committee for Improvement of Language Teaching Articulation in Catholic Schools; president of the American Association of the Teachers of French, Detroit Chapter; and regional representative for the East Central States, American Association of Teachers of French.

Information in this write-up is taken from Professor Charest’s university archive file.  Although there is a record of the Professor Emeritus status being granted to Professor Charest, the year it was granted is unknown.

University of Detroit

Back to Top