Back to Top
Top Nav content Site Footer
University Home

Archive Research Center

Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection
Original name: Lachinedoc

Other name(s): Queenston

Ship owner: Bob-Lo Ferry Company Ltd.; Colonial Steamship Co.; Ministry of War Transport; Paterson Steamships, Ltd.; Scott Misener Steamships, Ltd.; U.S. Maritime Commission

Ship builder: Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Wallsend-on-Tyne, England

Engine builder: McColl & Pollock

Year ship built: 1927

Year engine built: 1927

Final disposition: Reduced to foundation and facing for new dock on Canadian side of Bob-Lo Island, Detroit River, in Fall, 1961.


Lachinedoc was owned by Canada, Panama, Great Britian and the United States.  However, there is no record of changes in the registry number.  The name was changed to Queenston when Canada reacquired the ship.  There is evidence of an official name change to "Boblodock" when the ship became a dock for the Canadian side of Bob-Lo Island in 1961.  Tonnaged changed in 1943 to 1990 gross and 1161 net and changed again in 1947 to 1976 gross and 1137 net.



b) Queenston

c) Boblodock (unofficial) (1962)


1) Paterson Steamships Ltd., Fort William, Ontario

2) U. S. Maritime Commission, Panama (1942)

3) Ministry of War Transport, London, England (1944)

4) U. S. Maritime Commission, Washington D.C. (1946)

5) Colonial Steamships, Ltd., Port Colbourne, Ontario (1947)

6) Scott Misener Steamship Co., Port Colbourne, Ontario (1960)

7) Bob-Lo Ferry Co., Ltd.

Registry number: C. 149430

Hull number: 1311

Vessel type: Bulk Freighter

Height: 17.9

Width: 43.4

Length: 252.8

Stroke length: 33

Gross tonnage: 1926

Net tonnage: 1149

Materials: Steel

Engine type: Triple expansion

Piston 1: 15

Piston 2: 25

Piston 3: 40

The material featured on this site is subject to copyright protection unless otherwise indicated. The documents may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium, provided it is reproduced accurately and not used in a misleading context. The source of the material, the University of Detroit Mercy Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection, must be identified and the copyright status acknowledged.

Back to Top