Back to Top
Top Nav content Site Footer
University Home

Archive Research Center

Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection
Original name: Duchess of York

Other name(s): Beloil; Pelerin; Sorel

Ship owner: L. Leger; Ottawa River Navigation Co.; Prince Edward Island Park Co.

Ship builder: William C. White, Montreal, Quebec

Engine builder: George Brush, Montreal, Quebec

Year ship built: 1860

Year engine built: 1860

Final disposition: Dismantled in 1938. Hull used as pulpwood barge. Out of active list in 1945.


Engine from "Prince of Wales".

Feathering paddles and steam steering engine from "Caspian" (ex. "Passport").  Installed, 1920.


b) Sorel

c) Pelerin

d) Beloil


1) Ottawa River Navigation Co. (1895-1917)

2) Prince Edward Island Park Co. (1917-    )

3) L. Leger, Lachine, Quebec

Registry number: C. 103342

Hull number: None

Vessel type: Passenger and Freight, sidewheel

Height: 9.4 ft.

Width: 25.3 ft.

Length: 156.8 ft.

Stroke length: 108 in.

Gross tonnage: 490

Net tonnage: 262

Materials: Iron

Engine type: Beam condensing

Piston 1: 34 in.

The material featured on this site is subject to copyright protection unless otherwise indicated. The documents may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium, provided it is reproduced accurately and not used in a misleading context. The source of the material, the University of Detroit Mercy Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection, must be identified and the copyright status acknowledged.

Back to Top