Back to Top
Top Nav content Site Footer
University Home
Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection
Original name: Q. A. Gilmore

Other name(s): R.E. Petterson; Reiss

Ship owner: C. Reiss Coal Co.; Great Lakes Towing Co.; R. E. Peterson; Saugatuck Marine Museum

Ship builder: Great Lakes Towing Co., Cleveland, Ohio

Engine builder: S. F. Hodge & Co., Detroit, Michigan (for tug Monarch of 1889)

Year ship built: 1912

Year engine built: 1884

Final disposition: Out of Documentation in 1979.

Notes:

Original steam engines built by S. F. Hodge & Co., Detroit in 1884 and came from Tug Monarch of 1889.  Great Lakes Towing Company rebuilt them in 1912 and put them in Q. A. Gilmore when it was built in 1912.

Remarks:

Names:

b) Reiss

C) R. E. Peterson (1970) (Unofficial)

Owners:

1) Great Lakes Towing Co., Cleveland, Ohio

2) C. Reiss Coal Co.

3) R. E. Peterson (Tower Marina), Saugatuck, Michigan (1969)

4) Saugatuck Marine Museum (1970)

Registry number: US. 211152

Hull number: 24

Vessel type: Tug

Height: 12.5

Width: 20

Length: 71

Stroke length: 30

Gross tonnage: 99

Net tonnage: 51

Materials: Steel

Engine type: Fore and Aft Compound (from Monarch built 1884)

Piston 1: 18

Piston 2: 36

The material featured on this site is subject to copyright protection unless otherwise indicated. The documents may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium, provided it is reproduced accurately and not used in a misleading context. The source of the material, the University of Detroit Mercy Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection, must be identified and the copyright status acknowledged.

Back to Top