Back to Top
Top Nav content Site Footer
University Home
Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection
Original name: City of Everett

Ship owner: A. Kaplan; American Agricultural Chemical Co.; Pacific Steel Barge Co.; Standard Oil Co.

Ship builder: American Steel Barge Co. (A. McDougall), West Superior, Wisconsin

Ship re-builder: Brooklyn Ship Yard, New York, New York

Engine builder: Frontier Iron Works, Detroit, Michigan

Year ship built: 1894

Year engine built: 1893

Final disposition: Sailed from Santiago, Cuba for Freeport Texas, October 7,1923 and was never heard from again. 26 lives lost.

Notes:

Most of the required materials were hauled by whaleback "Charles W. Wetmore" in late 1893.  Launched in Everett, Washington on October 24, 1894.  Converted to a tanker c. 1898.  Exploded and burned at Port Arthur, Texas on September 8, 1903.  Rebuilt in Brooklyn (1904) with orthodox bow and stern. Slightly enlarged to a gross tonnage of 2595; net tonnage 1939.

 

Remarks:

Owners:

1) Pacific Steel Barge Co., Everett, Washington

2) American Agricultural Chemical Co. (1899)

3) Standard Oil Co., New York (1901)

4) A. Kaplan (c. 1915)

Registry number: US. 127055

Hull number: 301

Vessel type: Bulk Freighter, whaleback

Height: 22.9 ft.

Width: 42 ft.

Length: 345 ft.

Stroke length: 42 in.

Gross tonnage: 2504

Net tonnage: 1858

Materials: Steel

Engine type: Triple expansion

Piston 1: 24 in.

Piston 2: 38 in.

Piston 3: 64 in.

The material featured on this site is subject to copyright protection unless otherwise indicated. The documents may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium, provided it is reproduced accurately and not used in a misleading context. The source of the material, the University of Detroit Mercy Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection, must be identified and the copyright status acknowledged.

Back to Top