ThreeRngTarjay: The Removal of a Gene 101 and a Start Site Alteration

Sesoko, Channing, Ali Issa, Stephanie B. Conant, Jonathan S. Finkel, and Jacob D. Kagey

Phage were isolated from soil samples found randomly in the environment. After several assays, lysates of varying titers, and a selection process to select a phage to be sent to the University of Pittsburgh, ThreeRngTarjay was chosen to have its genome sequenced. After receiving the now sequenced genome, analyzation and annotation of it began. Finding start and stop sites, externally blasting genes to other known and annotated phage, and looking at coding potential graphs generated by Glimmer and GeneMark. Our colleagues and ourselves were assigned two sections each, with two groups annotating each section for efficiency and so as to compare and collaborate. Our group had a mix of forward and reverse genes. We also found predicted genes that resided on top of each other, with one being deleted out of each coupling. It also include start sites that needed to be changed. In our allocated sections, no tRNAs were discovered, but were identified in the genome. With convincing proof such as, significant external blast data, high coding potentials found on Glimmer and GeneMark printouts, and data from DNAMaster, groups can decide whether or not a gene exists or if a change in start site needs to take place. Journals were kept on Microsoft Onenote. What we will be focusing on is how and why we decided to delete gene 101, and the reasoning behind an alteration of a start site.