Back to Top
Top Nav content Site Footer
University Home
Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection
Original name: Leafield

Ship owner: Algoma Central Steamship Co.; S. S. Leafield Co. Ltd.

Ship builder: Strand Slipway Co., Sunderland, England, subcontracted with Wood and Skinner Co.

Engine builder: North Eastern Marine Engine Co., Sunderland, England

Year ship built: 1892

Year engine built: 1892

Final disposition: Foundered in Lake Superior with a load of steel rails during the Big Blow of November 9-13,1913. All hands lost, hull has not yet been discovered as of November,2002.

Notes:

Came to the Great Lakes in 1900.  Purchased for the steel rail trade from Algoma Steel mills in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Fort William, Ontario.

Remarks:

Owners:

1) S. S. Leafield Co., Ltd., Newcastle, England

2) Algoma Central Steamship Co., Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario (1900)

Registry number: C.97990

Hull number: None

Vessel type: Bulk Freighter

Height: 16.6

Width: 35.2

Length: 249

Stroke length: 33

Gross tonnage: 1453

Net tonnage: 922

Materials: Steel

Engine type: Triple expansion

Piston 1: 19

Piston 2: 31

Piston 3: 51

The material featured on this site is subject to copyright protection unless otherwise indicated. The documents may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium, provided it is reproduced accurately and not used in a misleading context. The source of the material, the University of Detroit Mercy Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection, must be identified and the copyright status acknowledged.

Back to Top