Back to Top
Top Nav content Site Footer
University Home
Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection
Original name: Indiana

Ship owner: Arundel Corp.; Goodrich Transit Co.; Mills Construction Co.

Ship builder: H. & G. Burger, Manitowoc, Wisconsin

Engine builder: Charles Elmes Engine Works, Chicago, Illinois

Year ship built: 1890

Year engine built: 1890

Final disposition: Abandoned in Toledo, Ohio c. 1938.

Notes:

Lengthened in 1915 (Manitowoc) to 225 ft., which increased gross tonnage to 1979 and net tonnage to 1562.

A. B. Record in 1921, p. 435 lists owners as Merchants & Miners Transportation Co., home port Baltimore (probably confused with M & M's "Indian").

Remarks:

Owners:

1) Goodrich Transit Co.

2) Mills Construction Co., Detroit, Michigan (Used as housing for 

   construction workers.)

3) Arundel Corp.

Registry number: US. 100471

Hull number: None

Vessel type: Passenger and Freight, propeller

Height: 14.3 ft.

Width: 35.4 ft.

Length: 201 ft

Stroke length: 36 in.

Gross tonnage: 1117

Net tonnage: 961

Materials: Wood

Engine type: Fore and Aft

Piston 1: 20 in.

Piston 2: 56 in.

The material featured on this site is subject to copyright protection unless otherwise indicated. The documents may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium, provided it is reproduced accurately and not used in a misleading context. The source of the material, the University of Detroit Mercy Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection, must be identified and the copyright status acknowledged.

Back to Top