Back to Top
Top Nav content Site Footer
University Home
Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection
Original name: James R. Elliot

Other name(s): Captain John's Restaurant; Normac

Ship owner: City of Detroit; Owen Sound Transportation Co.

Ship builder: Jenks Shipbuilding Co., Pt. Huron, Michigan

Engine builder: Cowles Engine Co.

Engine re-builder: Fairbanks-Morse, Beloit, Wisconsin

Year ship built: 1902

Year engine built: 1892

Final disposition: Scrapped.

Notes:

Launched, November 29,1902. First engines from the Detroiter of 1893. Rebuilt in 1931 by Georgian Bay Ship Building Co., Ltd. to a passenger/freighter.  Second deck added. Five cylinder diesel engine installed.  Name changed and Canada registered.

Remarks:

Names:

b) Normac (C 154621) (c. 1931)

c) Captain John's Restaurant (unofficial name)

Owners:

1) City of Detroit (Michigan)

2) Owen Sound Transporatation Co., Owen Sound, Ontario (c. 1931)

Registry number: US 77566

Hull number: 21

Vessel type: Fire Tug; Passenger and Freight, propeller

Height: 12

Width: 25

Length: 110

Stroke length: 15

Gross tonnage: 210

Net tonnage: 114

Materials: Steel

Engine type: Double non-condensing

Piston 1: 18

The material featured on this site is subject to copyright protection unless otherwise indicated. The documents may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium, provided it is reproduced accurately and not used in a misleading context. The source of the material, the University of Detroit Mercy Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection, must be identified and the copyright status acknowledged.

Back to Top