Back to Top
Top Nav content Site Footer
University Home
Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection
Original name: Lansdowne

Ship owner: Canadian National Railway; Detroit-Windsor Barge Lines; Grand Trunk Railway

Ship builder: Detroit Dry Dock Co., Wyandotte, Michigan

Engine builder: E. Gilbert & Sons, Montreal, Quebec

Year ship built: 1884

Year engine built: 1873

Final disposition: Out of Service in 1975 when Canadian National Railways discontinued its Detroit River Carferry Service and began using the Detroit River Tunnel on trackage rights.

Notes:

Launched May 10, 1884.  Engines from Michigan of 1873.  Last sidewheeler operating on Great Lakes when retired in 1975.  Built to be a floating restaurant docked to Detroit side of Detroit River in late 1970's.  New pilot house in 1962.  Converted to a barge in 1970.

Remarks:

Owners:

1) Grand Trunk Ry.

2) Canadian National Railways (as successor to GT Ry)

3) Detroit-Windsor Barge Line

Registry number: C. 88629

Hull number: 66

Vessel type: Car Ferry, Sidewheel

Height: 13

Width: 41.3

Length: 294

Stroke length: 108

Gross tonnage: 1571

Net tonnage: 908

Materials: Iron

Engine type: Horizontal, simple

Piston 1: twin

Piston 2: 50

The material featured on this site is subject to copyright protection unless otherwise indicated. The documents may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium, provided it is reproduced accurately and not used in a misleading context. The source of the material, the University of Detroit Mercy Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection, must be identified and the copyright status acknowledged.

Back to Top